Facebook is a wonderful creation but with its downsides. One such drawback is the birthday reminder feature. The social networking site reminds you of the upcoming birthday of the people on your friends list. social protocol requires people to wish their birthdays.
Since I rarely log into the social site, I have to face the worst of my friends for not wishing them their birthday. Now I don't have the traditional excuse that I forgot your birthday or Real men shouldn't remember birthdays. Fortunately, I've found a solution to automatically wish people their birthday. Here's how you do it.
Things you need
- Facebook account - the devil who started all the troubles
- Google Account: If you have created a Gmail account, you will automatically have a Google account. Isn't Google great, does it do everything on our behalf?
- A smartphone: a cheap phone like the iPhone will do this… 🙂
- IFTTT app on your smartphone
Procedure to automatically send birthday greetings to Facebook contacts
Synchronize Facebook birthday events with Google Calendar
- Log into your Facebook account
- Click the "Events" link in the left panel.
- At the bottom right, you will find a link for "Upcoming Events" and "Birthdays".
- Right-click on the Birthday link and copy the link address
- Open your Google Calendars. There are several ways to open the Google calendar. You can directly click on the link https://www.google.com/calendar and log in with your Gmail username and password.
Alternatively, you can log into your Gmail account. In the upper right corner you will find the app launcher icon. Click the icon and select Calendar.
- On the left side of the Google Calendar window you will find "Other Calendar". Click the icon at the bottom next to "Other calendar" and select "Add via URL".
- Paste the link you copied in step 4 above and click the “Add Calendar” button.
- Synchronization will start and after a few moments (depending on your internet speed) you will find that a calendar has been created in the “Other calendars” option.
Create an event in IFTTT to wish birthday to Facebook contacts
- Download and install the IFTTT application on your smartphone.
- Create an account in the application.
- In the app, select the option to add a recipe.
- Click on the "Search Recipes" option and search for "Facebook Birthdays".
- Select one of the pre-created recipes for "Friends Birthday Wishes".
- It will ask you to link your Google channel and your Facebook channel. Enter your credentials and the app will automatically start posting your birthdays.
Here you are! You are ready. Now you can thank me for giving this great advice by sharing this post on Facebook or tweeting about it.
Advanced Tip: There are many other predefined recipes in IFTTT that you can use to eliminate other mundane tasks. Start a discussion in the comments section below and we'll help you out.