How to block programs from users in Windows with AskAdmin: - If you have a friend or sibling who regularly uses your PC, you may be able to restrict access to some of the programs you use. Is it possible to block some programs from users? With AskAdmin portable software, yes you can. AskAdmin portable software has a very simple user interface that allows you to block access to certain programs by users of a system. Can't wait to learn all about this? Then read on.
- Download the zip file for AskAdmin from here. After downloading it, go to the downloaded path and find it. Double-click the zip file to extract its contents to a convenient location.
- Once the contents are extracted, simply open the folder as shown in the screenshot to view the contents.
- Now click on the AskAdmin.exe program to start it.
- A small window called AskAdmin License Agreement opens. You need to click on the Agree file to proceed to the next step.
- To add a program to the block list to prevent users from accessing it, simply click Add File as shown in the screenshot below.
- Now you will need to browse the files and folders on your computer to find the program you want to block. Browse and find the .EXE file of the program you want to block. And once you find it, click the Open button.
- You will need to restart Windows Explorer for the changes to take over. For that, when you are shown a warning box like the one provided in the screenshot below, please click the yes button. That's all. You have successfully blocked a program from users.
- Now let's check if the changes have taken over. go to your search box and start typing the name of the file you blocked. From the search results, find and click on the program as shown.
- Here you are! You will be shown a dialog box saying that you cannot access the program as it is blocked by group policy. Just click the ok button.
- Now, what to do if you want to run the blocked program? Since the administrator account is also blocked from accessing the file, it is necessary to access the file from the AskAdmin program file itself. Launch AskAdmin and find the locked file you want to run. Right click on it and then click on Run file option to run it.
- If you want to remove the block you have set on a program or file, you can simply select the file and then click the Remove file icon at the top as shown in the screenshot.
Try this free tool today. If you want to set a password for your AskAdmin, you need to upgrade to the premium version, which has a lot more features. Hope you found the article useful.