The mouse is an integral part of our computer. Sometimes I would have thought the mouse scroll speed was too slow or too fast. And immediately we come to the conclusion that there is a problem with the hardware. While that's true to some extent, there are also various software settings that can be easily changed by tweaking some settings in the Windows 10 operating system. Of course, we can't get rid of our mouse. Most of us would even make use of external mice connected via cables or bluetooth to overcome the drawbacks of the touchpad on laptops. This need no longer be the case.
The default scroll speed is set to 3. This means that when you move the mouse once, the document or page you are viewing scrolls three lines.
Wondering why we should change the default speed? Let me explain to you with an example. Let's say we are in a 100 page document. And you should get to a page somewhere eventually by scrolling down. It takes a long time if you're going to use the default mouse speed. This is where you will need to change the speed settings.
Steps to change the default mouse scroll speed
- The whole mouse customization process is started by clicking the Start button and accessing the Settings app in Windows 10.
- Once the Settings application is launched, go to the Device window which helps you configure the devices available on your system. This is done by clicking on devices that appears at the top of the available options pane.
- In the left pane of the window, click the Mouse and Touch Panel option. After doing that, you can see their settings on the right. You will find a slider below Choose how many lines to scroll each time option. Grab it and drag it to the number you want.
Sets the number of lines the scroll wheel should skip each time the mouse is scrolled. You can set it to any value between 1 and 100.
- Now go to Additional Mouse Options that appear at the bottom of the window and click on it. The Mouse Properties window opens.
- Click on the option called Rotate which probably looks like the fourth tab above Enter the desired scroll wheel sensitivity in the text boxes available under Vertical Shift yes Horizontal Shift. This helps to set the scroll to jump in character form horizontally and vertically.
- Tap the Apply button once you're done with everything.
Here it is. From now on, the mouse starts scrolling according to your melodies!