How to change the new default folder name scheme in Windows 10: - When you create a new folder or a new text document on Windows 10, it is called New Folder Y New Text Document respectively by default. Simple plain text values! But who wants simple, much less predetermined? You are given the option to change the Windows 10 folder / file naming scheme and you are ready to use the default. Read on to learn how to hack this simple trick to customize Windows 10's default folder / file naming scheme using a program called regedit. Give your system a personal touch.
Read also: - How to turn boring folder icon into cool images
- First, let's take a look at the Windows 10 default folder naming scheme. For that, create a new folder by right clicking on an empty space on your desktop and then clicking on New and then via Binder .
- Now if you take a look at the name of the newly created folder, it will be New default folder. But yes, there is absolutely no need to follow the default Windows behavior. In fact, you can also modify this part of Windows.
- For that, type regedit in Cortana's search box. It will list the search results and choose the program. regedit as shown in the screenshot.
- Label the newly created key as Name Templates.
- Then right click on Name Patterns, Then in New and then via String Value.
- The newly created subkey should be labeled RenameNameTemplate.
- Now double click on RenameNameTemplate. This will result in opening a new window called Edit String. You will now see a text file called Value Data. You can give a name of your choice in this text field, so that every time you create a new folder or file, it will automatically be created with this name. In the following screenshot, I chose the name Super new! as my default folder / filename. When done, click the OK button.
- Let's check if the effect has taken over. For this, create a new folder. There is! You can definitely see the change, right?
- Let's check the same with a new text document. Just create a new text document to see that the default naming scheme has changed.
- Now what if you don't want a fixed name for each of the newly created files / folders? Well, there is also a solution for that. Open the Edit String window just like before. A Field type value data text% s, where the text can be any text of your choice. % S part is the Windows default name for the folder / file. When you're done, click okay. In this example, I used the text valueNew.
- Let's review the effects. Just create a new folder and a new text document. Obviously the effect took place.
- Remember not to use any of the following special characters when entering the value in the Field Value Data.
/? : * “> <| "'*
If you use any of the characters mentioned above, you may get an error message like the one shown in the screenshot below. To fix this, go back and remove unwanted characters from Field Value Data.
- Going back to the default Windows behavior is as easy as breathing. You just need to right-click on the Name Templates file and choose Delete from the context menu.
That's all. Now your system has a personal touch. It should be nice to always leave a mark. I hope the article was useful to you.