If you use Gmail often but want to receive your emails through an email client on your computer such as Thunderbird, the setup process is really simple.
Thunderbird is not only free and open source but a great way to easily manage your emails or multiple email accounts from your computer.
Find out how to quickly sync yours account Gmail con Thunderbird.
How to set up Gmail with Thunderbird
- Download Thunderbird from the site
- Once the download is complete, install and launch Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Click on Set up an account.
- Enter your Gmail email credentials in the window that opens. Type your name, Gmail account address and Gmail password in the appropriate fields. You don't have to worry about security as Thunderbird emails are secure with SSL / TLS.
- Once done and clicked on continue you will need to select IMAP or POP3. Select IMAP and click on "Done".
If you prefer to manually choose the Google's SMTP and IMAP settings here are the parameters to enter (Thunderbird is configured automatically from the step above this is optional):
|Incoming mail server (IMAP)||imap.gmail.com|
Requires SSL: Yes
|Outgoing mail server (SMTP)||smtp.gmail.com|
Requires SSL: Yes
Requires TLS: Yes (if available)
Requires Authentication: Yes
Porta per SSL: 465
Porta per TLS / STARTTLS: 587
|Full name or Display name||Your name|
|Account name, Username or Email address||Your full email address|
|Password||Your Gmail password|
- Clicking on Done you will be asked to log into your Google account with Mozilla Thunderbird. Enter your Google email address and password.
- Accept the request to grant Mozilla Thunderbird permission to access your Google account. These permissions include the ability to read, compose, send and permanently delete all emails from Gmail.
Done yours now Gmail account is synchronized with Thunderbird.
Note: Before you start using Thunderbird, please wait for all your emails to download.