Gone are the days when 4GB of RAM was considered sufficient to run all applications smoothly on a computer. The hunger for rougher hardware capabilities grows by the day. If you feel your workstation slows down while editing a video or playing a powerful game, you can easily use a removable drive as additional RAM to speed up your system. To do that, follow the steps in this article-
How to increase RAM using a USB flash drive
Before proceeding, please read the notes carefully.
1. To use the flash drive as additional RAM for your system, you need to format the drive in NTFS format. If you have something important, copy it to your hard drive.
2. It is recommended that you use at least a 32GB USB drive. However, 64GB is the preferred option.
Now, follow these steps to use the drive as RAM-
STEP-1 Format the drive -
1. Connect the USB drive to your computer.
2. Open the File Browser on your computer.
3. Now, in the File Browser window, on the left side, click on “What PC".
4. Now, the right mouse button on the pendrive. Then click on "Format“To start formatting the drive.
5. When the File Format window pops up, click the 'File System' button. Then you have to select "NTFS“From the drop-down list.
6. Next, click on “Home“To start the formatting process.
It will take some time to complete the formatting process.
Once formatted, follow the steps below:
Step 2 Use ReadyBoost to increase RAM
1. First, press Windows key + E together.
2. Then, to see all the drives on your computer, you need to click on “What PC".
4. When you see the USB controller, the right mouse button on it and click "Property".
5. Then, in the Window Properties file, go to the "ReadyBoostEyelash ".
6. Select the option "Use this device".
7. Now you can increase or decrease the amount of RAM by adjusting the slider (Example– For this computer, the maximum limit is 4094 MB).
7. Now click on "To apply"And then in"ok“To save the changes.
That is! You have successfully increased the amount of RAM in your computer. This will speed up the system by a significant margin.
Do not unplug the USB drive unless you have disabled ReadyBoost first setup.
In case you decide not to use the USB drive as additional RAM, follow these steps to cancel the above process:
1. Simply open the File Browser and then click on "What PC".
2. Simply, the right mouse button on the USB flash drive.
3. Then click on "Property".
5. Next, click on “ReadyBoostEyelash ".
6. Here you have to select "Do not use this device“Y ReadyBoost will not use this device.
7. Now click on "To apply"And then in"ok“To save these new changes.
Now you can eject the drive from your computer and use it as a regular drive for other computers.