With the advancement of technology every year, the security concerns related to account details are also increasing at the same rate. To combat growing scams and online fraud, PC and mobile phone manufacturers are developing additional security features. One of them is the Windows Hello feature on Windows 10.
What is the “Windows Hello” feature?
It's a relatively new feature that was launched in 2015 with the release of Windows 10. It helps users protect their Windows 10 devices from unauthorized use by using features like fingerprint scanning, facial recognition, and more. It prevents access to any unidentified external access on your PC and makes it hacker proof.
What is the "Windows Hello is not available on this device “Error on Windows 10?
However, many late users encountered a problem after the Windows update where they were unable to access the Windows Hello feature. Users who have Windows Hello running normally on their devices with the required components in place report an error saying “Windows Hello is not available on this device”.
Let's see how we can correct this error ..
Fix 1: update your PC to the latest version
Check that you have already installed all the latest updates for Windows 10. While the updates are installed automatically, you can also check for updates manually:
- Press the "Tasto Windows + I“On the keyboard together. This will open the file settings Windows section. Alternatively, you can also type “Settings” in the search bar located in the taskbar to open it directly.
- Now, find the "Update and security“Option in the Settings panel.
- You can see the first tab highlighted “Windows Update”. Stay there and click the "Check for updates“Button to the right under the Update Status option. This will tell you if any new updates are available.
- If so, Windows should automatically start downloading the update.
Fix 2: biometric activation by the administration
Check if you have administration permission without which you cannot use the Windows Hello feature on your computer.
- press the Tasto Windows + R together on the keyboard. The "Run“Dialog on Windows 10.
- Gender "gpedit.msc“In the search box and press” Enter “.
- The folder "Local Group Policy Editor". Now follow the steps:
- Click on "Computer configuration"
- Go to Administrative models
- Click on Windows Components
- On the right side of the window pane, you will find “Settings” in which there is a folder called Facial Features. Click on the first option below that says "Allow the use of biometrics".
- Click on the “Enabled” option below that. Then click "Apply" and "OK" to save changes and exit.
- Restart your PC and go to the next step.
Fix 3: update the biometric from Device Manager
Outdated drivers can cause many errors on Windows and this time you need to check the biometric driver. Here you can check if the error is related to the fingerprint scanner or any other driver in case you are using a different security option.
- Press the Windows + X keys on your keyboard together. Click Device Manager in the list.
- Click the "scan for hardware changes" icon at the top of the file.
- Expand the Biometrics option. Right-click on the drop-down menu that says “Validity Sensor” and click on the “Uninstall” option from the list.
- If you wish, you can restart your computer. This will help Windows find the driver for your device.